DIY Iced Vanilla "Latte"

Since I graduated college I've been a dedicated green tea drinker.  Even my days working in government affairs onsite 12+ hour days walking back and forth to the capital coffee would just get me too jittery if I drank it all day.  I'd say about 5 years ago after my 3rd baby was born green tea wasn't cutting it, especially in the afternoons so I started incorporating coffee.  Now I still cant drink too much, or I will be shaking all day and it makes it impossible for me to fall asleep at night, but I can rotate in 1 cup a day.  I like it iced, I like it vanilla and I like it my way.  I've put "latte" in quotations because I don't use espresso but I use a typical latte recipe.  I've tried various coffee shops around here and the espresso is just too much! Luckily my husband is a HUGE coffee drinker and likes to brew his own Starbucks beans at home and keep cold in the fridge.  We brew a pot, let it cool and keep in a large glass pitcher which lasts about 2-3 days (he gets his afternoon venti from the 'bucks closest to his job site)


Now I have the iced coffee ready to go - I need the flava.  I make my own vanilla syrup and its SO EASY.  I bring to a boil; 1 c sugar, 1 cup water and 1 tbsp. homemade vanilla.  Let simmer till the sugar dissolves then cool.  That's it! I keep it in the fridge in a little container and add 2-3 teaspoons to my 8oz of iced coffee.  Whats cool is that you can control these ingredients and accommodate to your liking unlike store bought syrups - and most everyone has a cup of sugar and vanilla so *FREE* if you want less sugar - add less, more vanilla - add more.  Custom coffee at its finest.
So, iced coffee, vanilla syrup and I like to top mine off with a little coconut milk.  Presto.
Who else does coffee at home??? I'd love to hear some other recipes!

Cheers!
xoxo,
Nicole



Comments

Popular Posts