Homemade Vanilla

I've been cooking and baking for a long time, and I have come across many of my favorite recipes that call for homemade vanilla.  I always have had greatest intentions to make some, but I never really made it a priority.  This was mistake #1.  There are some amazing vanilla extracts out there on the market, but I swear by this homemade recipe.  I use it religiously and it's so easy - I'm kicking myself for not starting the batch earlier.  It takes about 3 minutes to prepare and will be ready in about a month.  Its amazing - no joke.



Many recipes I found use vodka, which is great don't get me wrong, but I saw an option to use light white rum and thought I'd try both to see which one I liked better.  The rum version tasted a bit sweeter to me and personally won my kitchen test.



Homemade Vanilla


5-6 whole vanilla beans 
1 bottle White Rum such as Bacardi

Take a medium size mason jar and add the vanilla beans.  Pour the rum to fill all the way.  Close lid tightly and let sit at room temperature (in a cabinet is fine) for at least a month. 
Use for baking needs, to make simple syrup, the possibilities are endless!!!
Enjoy!



Cheers,
Nicole

Comments

Popular Posts