Christmas Touches at the Cottage Farmhouse

Decorating for Christmas has always been something I love!! Even when IC Construction and I were in a 1920's Victorian 1 bedroom and had a total of 400 sq ft....I am no stranger to small house living, that apartment was TINY!!! But through our journey we've lived in a few different homes including our previous home which was your typical tract home in a developed suburb with 10 ft ceilings and tons of space to spare.  When we decided to venture out of the box and more back to the country (we both grew up on acreage and swore never to go back...) we had to make a decision, either sacrifice the house for the location or sacrifice the location for the house - guess which way we went? 900 sq ft in a 1960's bungalow that had been torn to pieces for renters for 20 years in the best location we could find surrounded by 1 full acre of land that we could develop and make our own. Very Chip and Joanna, very ambitious, very naïve, very much the best decision ever.  

But I've gotten off track - I'll retell our story another day complete with before and afters and all sorts of gory details - back to Christmas!!! My point was that after downsizing over 1000 sq ft my approach to decorate had to change a little bit.  I wanted to keep a "Country Christmas" feel but  not over clutter with too many decorations! So here is a little peek into our home and how we keep it simple, classic, kid-friendly and most importantly "us".


The fireplace is one of my favorite parts of the house, we designed the remodel around keeping the existing original brick surround and hearth.  Although we did paint the bricks, we decided not to repair the bricks that were placed crooked...imperfectly perfect.  


We added the mantle and its absolutely perfect for burlap stockings and faux greenery.


Mason jars and shiplap...


Command hooks are a savior on our custom barn doors


Small homes call for the best utilization of space, these doors hide a small but functional laundry room


I scored this cute red gingham bunting and pom pom strand last year at Target in the dollar spot - I love them layered in my son's room 


Buffalo check + tree flannel sheets + the easiest homemade pillow case


The girl's room is a light aqua and the only room in the house at Christmas without the traditional red and green.  We go for a Winter Wonderland look with white, gold and pinks


My favorite quote hangs year round on their wall




Comments

Popular Posts