Hot Chocolate and Donuts {Entertaining at Home}

My boy is almost 9...9?? How is it possible!? He is and he is the sweetest boy in the world, and having a birthday 7 days before Christmas is hard. Friends are out of town, school is wrapping up for the year, and Christmas....so many Christmas events, parties, gatherings...so to throw in a birthday in the midst of all of it is sometimes difficult.  We are lucky enough to have most of our family close and after the kids hit 5 we sort of had to start separating the birthday parties in to "friends party" and "family party".



Of course its great to have everyone together - I seriously love that, but here's my dilemma; 
1. great-grandparents don't like to attend the same type of parties as 7 year olds (and certainly not12 year olds) 
2. It's December and any/all parties have to have inside accommodations (which leads me to #3)
3. We live in a small house so fitting everyone (including rowdy boys) isn't a great option

So we allow our kids to decide what type of family party they would like and it can include a homemade meal and cake and will be at the house.  This allows the older generations to be comfortable and the cousins can play outside (weather permitting) or inside with their own toys.  It's always worked out - even with all the Christmas décor out!! 



This year Sweet C decided on a breakfast party with donuts and hot chocolate - his favorites.  I was completely on board with this and the planning was SO simple, I highly recommend a party like this! We started with a few dozen donuts from our favorite local shop, added a hot beverage station with coffee, tea and of course hot chocolate (sidenote: if you have winter gatherings may I suggest an electric hot water kettle - it was under $20 and a lifesaver!! I keep it stored with my party supplies and I'm always happy to bring it out in Fall/Winter) Link to the one I have here


I did decide to prepare a small batch of scrambled eggs and roasted asparagus because we have a couple of non-sugar dietary needs in our family.  But those are so simple and I cooked both 30 minutes before the party started and kept them warm in a chaffing dish (also a must have for entertaining - I've had mine since my bridal shower and its amazing!! I have this one)


I used gold paper plates, disposable warm cups (with lids for kids) and plastic forks and napkins.  There was virtually no clean up and everyone had a blast.  One of the easiest parties I've thrown...and who doesn't love donuts.

XOXO
Nicole   

Comments

Popular Posts