Chocolate or Vanilla? Frosting Obsessed

I love cupcakes. Like LOVE. I find any excuse to bake them and constantly look for new cake and frosting recipes to try.  They really are a multidimensional dessert and can be dressed up or dressed down for any and all occasions - that's what I love so much, they are the LBD of desserts. 

Through my "frosting trials" as I like to call them I've kept true to these 2 basic recipes and find myself going back to them time and time again. 

The vanilla frosting is simple and clean and with my homemade vanilla comes out perfect everytime! I use the "no fail buttercream" recipe from Food Love (www.foodlove.com) the only difference is that I swap out whole milk for the heavy whipping cream and use my own vanilla instead of the suggested infusion. I think the milk swap was accidental - like I forgot to buy cream and only had milk at the last minute accidental - and guess what I loved it even more.  The recipe is not only easy but the perfect blend of ingredients, and provides a soft, creamy frosting.

No Fail Buttercream

1 cup butter at room temp
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp homemade vanilla
2 Tbsp heavy cream or milk

Beat butter in a mixer until smooth
Add 1 cup of powdered sugar, and beat until combined - repeat with one more cup.
Add vanilla and cream/milk - beat until combined
Add the remaining powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until frosting is smooth and fluffy



As for chocolate - I have tried so many!! I don't like my chocolate too chocolaty (does that make sense) and I like it to stay soft, but be able to pipe out and set.  Its a science really, but this one from Chef in Training (www.chef-intraining.com) is divine.  I love the texture, I love the flavor, its perfect.  I have also tried this recipe with milk (again I probably forgot cream at the store) and works beautifully.  

Perfect Chocolate Buttercream

1 cup butter - softened
4 1/2 to 5 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbsp cocoa (I use Hersheys)
1 tsp vanilla 
5 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
1/4 tsp salt

Combine butter, powdered sugar, cocoa, vanilla, cream/milk and salt and beat for 5-7 minutes until light and fluffy.
You can add more powdered sugar if you need/want to thicken or cream/milk to thin!



You really can't go wrong with either of these recipes - so whether you are vanilla or chocolate - I highly recommend them both!!! Happy baking friends!

Cheers,
    Nicole   

Comments

Popular Posts