Back to Life... Back to Reality...

One of the most wonderful times of the year..back to school. {enter applause} I LOVE back to school, I thrive on schedules and crisp Fall air - its my happy place. Bring on the jeans and sweaters and pumpkins and apple cider!!!
As much as I adore sunshine, pool parties and perfectly tanned skin, I tend to wear out of summer - which is why I love Fall so much, its a new start!  One of the best parts is getting everything organized (by far my favorite part) If you follow me on Instagram you will have seen some of my late summer prep to get a head start on food prep, and how I plan for each week.  Truth be told if I don't organize I'm screwed.  Seriously I might as well hang on to the tail pipe because these crazy schedules, activities, sports, homework not to mention regular work will drag me through the mud.  So here are some tips to keep me on track - and now that I do them every week its a no brainer and allows me to be the best me whether I'm selling homes at work, helping with homework after school, working on my home or cheering on the sidelines at games!

1. Start with a planner.  Easy.  Now if the planner on your phone works for you - or an app, awesome.  It doesn't for me - I physically have to write it down for it to happen.  I got mine at Target, well under $20 and I like the big 8 1/2 x 11 pages so I'm not cramming in notes here and there, and I can easily write everything down.
From there enter in all that has to be done that day - kids in school from 9-3? write it. In the office from 8-1? Put it down. Planning cheeseburgers for dinner? yep goes on there. Softball practice at 4 across town? You betcha. I've learned that when I write it all down I visually see what needs to be done, how much time I have that day and if the kids need a quick dinner, or if I'm on the chopping block for team snack.  I manage my time around what has to be done, and then plan efficiently.  This also helps when planning meals...

2. Plan your meals.  This can make or break you - I promise.  Once I have my calendar for the week mapped out, I start working around that.  If there is a day or two where I will be out at practice or picking up and dropping off all over town, I plan a crock pot meal or something I can make that afternoon and then reheat at dinner time.  Same goes for snacks - If we only have 30 minutes between school pick up and soccer practice, that only leaves enough time to put away backpacks, change clothes and grab a quick snack, so I make sure a "quick snack" is actually accessible.  Baby carrots and ranch, pretzels and hummus, apples and peanut butter are great easy to eat snacks that can be prepped ahead in minutes. MINUTES. Trying to scramble when its time to go just doesn't work for me, I stress out, I get grouchy and usually forget something.
I found a great *free meal planning sheet online from The Road to Loving my Thermo Mixer Blog.  I print out 4-5  a month and fill in.  It has helped tremendously, cooking, grocery shopping and avoiding the dreaded "what's for dinner" dilemma.  I know ahead of time if I need to defrost something, precook an ingredient or if I'm delegated to bring class snacks.  Check it out - and check out her blog (love it)

3. Cookbooks and Pinterest. I love my cookbooks - I actually love reading cookbooks for fun and looking at the colorful pictures.  I have my favorites and it allows me to go back to my favorites when I need them. That said - praise Pinterest.  You can literally find any type of recipe in seconds - there isn't much more to say about it - amazeballs.  I use Pinterest constantly not just for new recipes, but tips on homemade cleaning products, gardening, home décor, fashion and even money tips. I heart you Pinterest. 

4. Stay 1 Day Ahead.  Ever heard that if "you're early, you're on time, and if you're on time you're late" There's some sense in that statement.  I stay one day ahead of schedule. If I know ( and I "know" because I keep a planner - refer to #1) we have ballet class on Tuesday and baby girl needs her blue leotard - I make sure that the "blues" need to be washed and hung dry sometime before Monday.  If I have work meetings, then kid activities all day Wednesday then I better tidy up the house Tuesday.  By thinking and planning ahead its easier to stay on task and prepared for those last minute things that always come up - book reports, 500 cotton balls need to go to class tomorrow, playdates, family potlucks, game time change, etc, etc.

5. Become a list maker.  This is hard for many, but it can save you time, money and some sanity.  I keep a printable list up on my command center wall for our monthly Target and monthly Costco trips as well as grocery.  Running out of qtips - put it on the list, need more shampoo - mark it down, cousins bday coming - jot down a couple ideas.  I do 1 large Target haul a month for house necessities - beauty, cleaners, household, etc. - the day before I go, I run through all the bathrooms, laundry and kitchen to check stock! Same for Costco - put it on the list and take inventory the night before.  In all honesty this helps me stay on budget and not forget anything - plus if I run to Target every week Ill end up spending hundreds $$!

6. Keep your home base clean and organized.  This one is hardest for me - I love a clean house, unfortunately life is hectic and its definitely a huge effort to keep the kiddos on board.  So I try to keep it as simple as possible for them.  Backpacks - each kid has a hook in the hallway and that's where the go immediately after school, unload lunchboxes and water bottles to kitchen counter and hang up.  Each kid has a laundry hamper - that's where dirty clothes go, period. Each kid has a towel, and after showers the towel goes back in its hook in the bathroom (Racks are too hard for my kids so we took it off the wall and installed hooks) We don't use top sheets on beds - the allows the kids to more easily make their beds. Every toy has a place - this one is HUGE.  whether its a bin, basket, drawer, whatever, everything has to have a place or it will end up on the floor.  My son's baseball hats go on a DIY pegboard (tutorial coming soon), daughter's dress up clothes, shoes, jewelry goes in a trunk, books have a shelf, Legos have bins, as do Barbie shoes, American girl doll clothes, matchbox cars and art supplies.  When everything has a place - there is no excuse! Same goes for me, magazines, throw blankets, sewing supplies, office supplies - it all has a place.
At the end of every day I do a walk thru - dishwasher is run every night before bed, table is wiped down, floors are swept, couch and living room are picked up and set, bathroom counters are wiped down, garbage taken out (if need be) and sorted laundry is in washer with soap ready.  That way when I wake up I have a clean living space, clean dishes, I push start on the washer and it runs while I wake up the kids and get ready for the day.
It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't and now its become part of our routine!!

I hope this wasn't information overload - but I've been asked how I keep sane with all we do and these few things help more than you know.  Its been years of trial and error but I think we've finally found our groove - I hope at least one of this tips will inspire you!

XOXO,
Nicole

Comments

Popular Posts