Why I Meal Prep

So who really has time for this? Cut up veggies, pre make snacks, homemade waffles...seriously...what's the point when everything is so readily available, prepackaged and conveniently marketed at the grocery store.  Because - that's why.  Because I prefer to save myself the struggle of arguing with a 5 year old regarding what they are going to have for breakfast, because I do the best I can to keep my kids from only shoveling down gummy snacks and fruit roll ups made with additives and preservatives, because I don't have $500 a week to spend on groceries and that prepackaged stuff is expensive when you have 3 growing kids who literally eat EVERYTHING! The biggest reason - I can.  I have made it a priority to make sure that the carrot sticks are cut, muffins are baked and fruit is easily accessible for little hands.  It doesn't take as much time as you might think and it saves me SO MUCH TIME and STRESS in the long run.
Taco Night Prep
Day at the Baseball Field Prep

Tips:

1. Only prep what's actually going to be eaten - I learned this the hard way! Ask your family what they like. Kids are honest, they'll tell ya
Homemade Apple-Pear Sauce
2. Prep while you're already prepping.  I do most of my prep while I'm cooking dinner or lunch - this cuts down on oven time, clean up time and if you're already in the kitchen might as well maximize your time.
Almond - Dried Fruit - Pepper Jack Cheese Bento Boxes

3. Get the family involved! Kids can help make muffins or stir cookie dough, or better yet put them on dishes duty if they're old enough.
Helping with Banana Bread for Next Morning
4. Use clear containers and set in easily accessible places.  When kids can see items they are more likely to choose them.  I love these clear glass containers from Pyrex, microwaveable and come in a ton of shapes and sizes.
Afterschool - Before Practice Snack

5. Offer homemade items first. They'll usually take those first - especially if they picked it out (see #1) and helped make it (see #3)
Blueberry Muffins
6. Utilize the Freezer.  I pre make my waffles, chicken pot pie, homemade chicken stock and even enchiladas and pop them in the freezer for a ready to go breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Frozen Belgian Waffles

I hope this gives you a new perspective on meal and snack prepping! Its done wonders for our household and I feel more confident I know what's going into my families body!

xoxo,
Nicole

Comments

Popular Posts