Let's Flamingle

My baby girl is turning 6....how is that even possible?? and in true 6 year old fashion she wants it all; cake, ice cream, bounce houses, face painters, fireworks and a mobile zoo. (insert eye roll here) That all sounds great, but for our time, space and party budget its just not happening - plus when you have 3 what you do for one you do for all and no thanks.  So what we do instead is together decide on a  theme and do what we can to make it as special as possible! It CAN be special without spending a fortune!! The main idea is for the birthday girl (or boy) to have fun and celebrate with her friends. 

1. Choose a theme
We started about a month ago and went back and forth on a couple ideas rainbows - everyone is doing that, vintage Barbie - ehh, pink flamingos...YES!! A theme I fully support, and we decided to throw in pineapples too. Pineapples, flamingos, tropical - love it.  From here we can collaborate a color scheme - Pink, yellow and green and go to work.



2. RSVP
I love an old fashioned paper invite.  Have I used evite? yes of course - but sometimes I like a real life invitation and Etsy is my go-to.  I always order instant downloads - this saves time and money.  I keep a ream of cardstock in our office for such occasions.  I found an adorable invitation, sent the shop owner the appropriate info for the party and had it in my inbox within 12 hours ready to print.  ahh technology.
invite from RainbowBabiesPrints

3. Source out party supplies
May I say this next thing I'm going to tell you NEVER happens to me - like ever. I started getting an online list from Amazon of plates, favors and such that went with our theme and ran into target to get something real quick and saw them putting out an entire rack of flamingo and pineapple décor and supplies.  Holy Flippin' Dollar Spot Jackpot Batman.
I scored - like big time.  Even items I had in my amazon cart were there...for 1/8 of the price. Finally some party planning karma came back to me!!!!! Napkins, straws and sunglasses oh my.  so good. 



4. Menu
I try to serve something the kids love, but also something that wont kill my time cooking or that no one else will like.  Plus I like to keep it as close tot he theme (if possible) She asked for teriyaki chicken on a stick (kid loves all foods on a stick - I mean who doesn't) and pineapple triangles. Yessss. Do-able, prep friendly, budget friendly. Can I get a "hell ya"

5. Something Special
I try to add in something "extra" cause I love being a little "extra" on all occasions (you know as long as it doesn't require me to take out a second mortgage) and we have a local fro-yo shop that has a Shaved Ice truck you can have show up at parties - my girl loves these, and it goes with the theme. Winner winner chicken dinner. 


6. Have Fun
This one is the hardest for me.  Sounds silly but it is.  I always feel as though everything needs to be perfect and I stress.  But in the end the birthday child and all the guests want to feel like they are welcome and that they can party! blow bubbles, color, jump on the trampoline, swim - whatever! The easiest way to make everyone feel at home is to be relaxed - don't let them go crazy but let them be kids!!!

Piece of birthday cake right.

XOXO
Nicole

Comments

Popular Posts