{one pound} Spaghetti

I think spaghetti is pretty universal - it's easy, it's affordable, its liked by most.  That's why I decided to start my one pound series with a classic.



As the great Ina Garten says - it doesn't matter what you make just that you use really good ingredients.  I have tasted just about every marinara sauce on the market, and by far my favorites are Barilla - Roasted Garlic or Classico - Tomato Basil.  I have attempted to make my own and while it was good - it 1. takes a long time and 2. can cost more for all the ingredients than a jar at the grocery store.  No brainer there. (disclaimer: if/when I get my full garden up and running and I have so many tomatos I don't know what to do with them - I may do some sauce until then it comes in a jar)
I've also been through the pasta section and I also love the Barilla brand pasta.
Now this week I changed it up a bit since I'm trying out a low carb diet and made "zoodles" with my meat sauce on the top.  It was pretty good I must say - obviously not quite the same as regular pasta but still filling!
For the meal;

Fist I take my one pound of ground beef (I use a 80/20) and start browning in a pan.
I always season my meat for spaghetti so I added salt, pepper, garlic salt and Italian seasonings to taste.  Once all browned I drain off the fat cause extra fat grosses me out.
I add the marinara sauce to the meat to cook on low while the pasta cooks.

Pasta is pasta - add to boiling water until desired consistency.

*momtip* although we don't eat an entire 16oz box of pasta with one meal - I always cook the entire box.  After its cooked I take out a small portion, drain, drizzle with olive oil and garlic salt and my kids eat it in their lunch the next day. School lunches packed: YAAASSSS.

For the "zoodles" I buy mine pre spiraled from Whole Foods and blanch them in some boiling water.  Drain and serve with meat sauce on top!
My family likes their pasta topped with the meat sauce instead of blended - this is preference - do what you like.  Top with parmesan and you're good to go.



*momtip* any extra zoodles can be saved in an airtight container in the fridge, add them to salads, stirfrys or even eat them on your own. Lunch for mom is ready for the next day too. YAAASSSS.

Pretty easy right? Spaghetti is a pretty standard meal but with meat, pasta and sauce your around $10 for dinner which is amazing....add in garlic bread and salad youre still under $20 for a meal that would cost you about $50 at even a small chain Italian restaurant.

Cheers friends!
XOXO
Nicole


Comments

Popular Posts